Looking for a journalism internship for the fall? Deadlines are coming up this month.
Each month, the Student Press Law Center puts together a list of paid journalism internships that are accepting applications. Deadlines for some fall internships are this month. Other internships have rolling or no listed deadlines.
NPR — (Various locations)
*Note: NPR’s deadline was originally July 8, it was extended by a week.
- Wait Wait...Don’t Tell Me Operations Intern — This internship will assist with the daily operations of the Wait, Wait...Don’t Tell Me! radio program. Responsibilities: Assists with the operations of the weekly live show, assists with planning of the show’s 20th anniversary activities, booking travel and accommodations for Chicago shows and road shows, assisting with bill payments for panelists, contributors, and vendors, performing various administrative tasks (office supply inventory, etc.), helping with merchandise sales and backstage at the live shows.
- Here and Now Intern — We're looking for a smart, fast-thinking intern well versed in current events and eager to learn the ways of NPR. You'll be reporting to NPR's deputy managing editors, who shepherd the network's daily news gathering operation. Most of your time will be spent assisting the Washington producer for Here & Now, our daily midday news program from WBUR in Boston. This is not a fetch-coffee-and-bagels internship. You’ll be expected to perform at a high level under deadline pressure – and love it!
- Arts Desk Intern — This internship will support the Arts, Books, and Culture Desk. Responsibilities: Sets up interviews, greets and escorts interview guests, logs tape, conducts story research for reporters and editors and participates in story production, sorts mail and answers phones, assists with development and maintenance of obituary project sound files, participates in staff meetings and projects as required.
- Peggy Girshman-Science Desk Intern — NPR’s Science Desk is looking for an editorial intern, a multimedia intern or hybrid. Applicants can apply as primarily an editorial or multimedia intern. For hybrid candidacy, pick the one that suits your strengths and tell us about your skills in other areas.
- Morning Edition, West Intern — This internship will support NPR's bi-coastal morning news program, Morning Edition. Responsibilities: conduct research for daily stories and long-term projects, put together detailed research packets to help staffers prepare for interviews, book interviews, obtain archival tape and transcribe interviews, help get the program on the air, which includes performing routine administrative tasks.
- Weekend Edition Intern — Join Weekend Edition as an intern and experience the behind-the-scenes production of NPR’s weekend morning news magazines. Weekend Edition Saturday and Sunday reach an audience of over 5 million listeners each week and if you’re an energetic, imaginative, news-focused person we could use your help.
- Business Desk Intern — This intern will support the Business Desk. Responsibilities: Conducts story research for reporters and editors, schedules interviews, logs recordings of interviews and events, participates in staff meetings and projects as required, performs routine administrative tasks.
- Digital News Desk Intern — Are you passionate about creative digital storytelling and emerging social platforms? Do you want to work on self-directed story ideas? Ready to join a team that will treat you like the budding journalist you are -- and not the intern who gets the boring assignments? NPR’s Digital News team is looking for a Fall 2018 intern, and we want to hear from you.
- Washington Desk Intern — Washington Desk Interns play a vital role in political coverage on all platforms. In addition to maintaining our calendar of events, desk interns do research for reporters and producers, build clipboards for radio pieces, build digital story pages, log interviews, and have the opportunity to write for the web. Candidates must have a demonstrated interest in government and politics.
- Investigation Unit Intern — Be a part of NPR’s award-winning Investigations Team, helping to identify, report and produce distinctive journalism on multiple platforms. The Investigations Intern uses reporting and interviewing skills, data analysis, resourcefulness and creativity to help create original stories. The team’s mission is to produce exclusive, important journalism of consequence, and each team member’s role is essential.
- Education Desk Intern — We are looking for a smart, fast-thinking intern to bring ideas and energy to the new 7-member team that covers education and learning for NPR. You will be reporting to NPR's Senior Education Editor, who leads the team's daily and long-term efforts. You will work with all the members of the team, researching stories, pitching new ideas, writing for the NPR Ed site and helping correspondents line up interviews and sources for their stories.
- NPR Visuals Photo Intern — Under the supervision and direction of NPR Visuals' photo editors, the intern will assist with editorial selection and processing of photos for news & feature coverage on NPR.org. Additionally, the intern will have opportunities to pitch and cover stories, or work with other reporters in the field.
- National Desk Intern — This internship will support the National Desk. Responsibilities: Assist in researching and reporting national stories, pitch story and series ideas, assist in production, schedule interviews, log tape, sort mail and answer phones, participate in staff meetings and projects as required.
Fox 40 — (Sacramento, California)
- News Intern — The FOX40 Newsroom is bustling with activity from the wee hours of the morning until well into late evening. The product delivered over the air each morning and evening, and online 24/7, is the result of the hard work of the behind-the-scenes writers, gatherers, producers and editors.
Student Press Law Center — (Washington, D.C.)
- Journalism Intern — We’re seeking self-starting storytellers to chronicle student media organizations in perilous times, recognize trends in student media and help SPLC expand its audience and impact. The positions are open to undergraduate and graduate students as well as recent college graduates. Your portfolio should convey how you take complex subjects and break them down into fluid, explanatory news stories. Experience in writing across platforms, video and podcast editing and tracking web analytics help show that you're a well rounded candidate.
ABC 11 — (Durham, North Carolina)
- ABC 11, the Disney owned TV station serving the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville market, seeks a highly motivated college junior/senior majoring in Journalism or Communications for a unique, hands-on, opportunity to experience what it takes to work at a local television station. Student will learn about the news gathering process, on air execution, and behind the scenes technology.
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press — (Washington, D.C.)
- The Reporters Committee offers internships at its Washington, D.C., headquarters on a regular basis. The work is challenging, but rewarding. Right from the start, interns write articles for our website, contribute to our guides on specific legal topics, and conduct research for other special projects. Interns report and write on free press and media law issues for our website and guidebooks, and assist our staff and fellows in research.
Chicago Magazine — (Chicago)
- Chicago magazine's editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
CNN Politics.com — (Washington, D.C.)
- As a CNNPolitics.com intern, students will have the opportunity to gain insight into the U.S. political system, digital journalism and CNN’s editorial process. They will learn how to edit, curate and create content for CNN’s political coverage on the web, mobile and other digital platforms, as well as; presidential, gubernatorial, senate, and congressional campaigns.
No Listed Deadline
- TEGNA — (Various locations)
- WGRZ News Intern — WGRZ offers paid internships for college students interested in Careers in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Depending on your focus, assignments would include working closely with show producers and news managers to learn how to craft a compelling, modern and sophisticated newscast, and will work with reporters, social media, web, and production staff to promote on-air content and engage viewers.
- News Intern — Interns will spend time rotating through all news, digital, marketing, and sales departments to gain a comprehensive understanding of station operations. They’ll then choose a specialty on which they can focus for the remainder of their internship.
- Kare 11 News Intern — Do you consume news 24/7? Want to learn what it takes to produce daily content? Interested in shaping the future of the media industry? Apply for our Intern Program!
- First Coast News Intern — Do you consume news 24/7? Want to learn what it takes to produce daily content? Interested in shaping the future of the media industry? Apply for our Intern Program!
- Summer Project Intern — This program offers mentoring from those at the top of their game, networking and real-world experience in a fun, entrepreneurial atmosphere. As part of our team, you will work on meaningful and impactful projects, as well as enjoy peer-to-peer engagement while working on activities that promote professional development supplemental to the job.
- The Washington Monthly — (Washington, DC)
- Editorial Intern — The Washington Monthly is looking for thoughtful, creative, driven interns. We have a small staff that produces big stories, so expect to work closely with editors on our website and bimonthly print magazine. We are a nonprofit, independent voice with nearly 50 years of experience understanding Washington and telling fascinating, deeply reported stories about the ideas and characters that animate America’s government.
- The Modesto Bee — (Modesto, California)
- Reporter Intern — Our goals are many. First is to educate and train aspiring journalists in the principles and rigors of their desired profession. Second is to bring new voices to our newsroom to give us fresh perspectives. Third is to put you to work – you will write stories (or shoot photos or program out social plans or make videos).
- KFOR — (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
- News Intern — The primary responsibility is to assist the newsroom with the gathering of information and production of newscasts. Candidate should have a basic understanding of every news process (producing a newscast, shooting a news story, editing a news story, writing a news story, ENG operations, assignment desk operations, prompter operations, control room operations, and web operations.)
- KTVI-FOX2/KPLR11 — (St. Louis, Missouri)
- Digital News Intern — KTVI-FOX2/KPLR11 is looking for a digital intern who has a passion for journalism. The digital intern will help post stories to station websites and social media accounts, including FOX 2 and KPLR 11. Digital interns may be assigned to occasionally shadow newsroom staff to gain experience in their field of study.
- KTVI and KPLR — (St. Louis, Missouri)
- News Intern — The focus of our internship program is to have students gain real-world experience at a TV station. Duties to include but are not limited to the following: Adding wire copy to the website, Writing stories for the website, Taking photos for the websites, Posting to KTVI and KPLR's social media accounts, Wrangling guests for the 9 a.m. newscast, Assisting the 9am newscast with booking on-air guest segments.
- WGN-TV — (Chicago, Illinois)
- Web Producer Intern — WGN-TV, Channel 9 and WGN America are looking for an Assistant Website Producer, intern. The internship will expose the participant to the day-to-day requirements for a local broadcast station as well as a nationally distributed cable network.
Want more stories like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our free News Roundup.
internships, news, recent-news