It’s almost summer, but there are still some paid journalism internships out there
Each month The Student Press Law Center brings you a list of paid internships with upcoming application deadlines. Here are some with May, rolling or unspecified deadlines. Good luck!
- Chicago magazine's editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
- New America’s Open Technology Institute seeks a full-time enthusiastic, motivated college/graduate student or individual with similar experience for a data journalist internship this summer. You should be passionate about tech policy and interested in learning about complex issues in a rapidly changing environment.
- Apprentices will have mentors throughout the newsroom to coach them through writing and editing stories as well as shooting photos and videos. This summer, they will learn how to pitch stories, prepare for interviews, assist other reporters with research and reporting, and many other skills that needed in the digital-first era. For graduating high-school juniors and seniors only.
No listed deadline
CNN (New York City)
- — The Digital Video news team produces, shoots and edits video for all CNN Digital platforms, including desktop, mobile and social. We work closely with correspondents and producers around the globe to cover breaking news and the issues that matter to our audience.
- — This role will require an interest in Business news, tenacity in pursuing projects and an in-depth knowledge of social media. Interns will learn how to use CNN's tape database to locate tapes for packages and sound bites for air. In the field, interns will have the opportunity to accompany producers on stories. In production, the intern will become knowledgeable in learning how to set up a script with tape and write using CNN's database.
- — Interns gain insight into the publishing tools and analytics that drive engagement and reach across different platforms -- desktop, mobile, and emerging platforms. They will aid the editors and producers that program and package CNNMoney content. Interns will also work with the entire newsroom to come up with the best presentation of content.
- — The intern may assist with the following: animate video package elements - including opens, lower thirds, and text on screen - help craft smart and engaging explainer videos, explore sound design and editing in Adobe Premiere, mask photos and rotoscope video, as well as research and asset gathering.
- — Interns will gain insight into the digital strategy for a global news network. They will learn how to turn TV content into engaging social content and will help with writing stories and producing videos for social. They will also gain experience developing social strategies and using analytics to measure success for social.
- National Geographic Partners offers professional training experience in visual storytelling including in immersive experiences. This internship is an opportunity to learn alongside a team of technologists and editors who are experimenting with storytelling methods in new mediums such as virtual reality, 360 video, augmented reality, Snapchat, audio, and other mobile-first interactive experiences. The intern will have the advantage of working alongside editors to identify and adapt stories so that they best serve various mediums.
- Looking for solid journalism students with a deep interest in defense, military, enterprise IT, geopolitics and national security issues. Prior military service is a huge plus, and will be strongly preferred. We also seek veterans for a wide variety of full-time roles at our company.
Tegna (various locations)
- — (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Assignments would include working closely with show producers and news managers to learn how to craft a compelling, modern and sophisticated newscast, and will work with reporters, social media, web, and production staff to promote on-air content and engage viewers.
- — (Norfolk, Va.)
- Broadcast internship where interns will produce content for ABC's affiliate in Norfolk.
- — (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Broadcast internship where assignments would include working side by side with experienced journalists in storytelling, videography, digital and social media.
tronc — (various locations)
- — (Chicago) Responsibilities for the photography/video intern will include covering events and breaking news stories throughout the five boroughs, conducting interviews, monitoring and using social media to help the photo desk with stories and to promote the Daily News’ content, tracking down user-generated content and shooting stock photos. Personal photo equipment is required (camera body, lenses and flash).
- — (New York City) Interns will cover an event on camera or with one; edit and post online. You will be learning the ins and outs of the ever changing world of journalism.
- — (New York City) Manage and review incoming Voice of the People submissions; type postal-mailed and faxed letters as needed; select letters for publication and edit for length, style, grammar and accuracy; produce for print and web a daily Voice of the People page in the print Daily News, writing and formatting letters, headlines and photos).
VICE News (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- — Interns will work closely with editors and reporters on researching, pitching, and developing stories. Interns can expect to take on daily news writing assignments and assist with research and reporting. There will also be opportunities for interns to work on video production and social media.
- — Daily responsibilities will include audio and video transcription, support for APs and Producers, research, and runs for supplies and shoots.
- — MUNCHIES is VICE's food website and digital video channel. Daily responsibilities will include copyediting, fact checking, writing short posts, uploading stories to the CMS, updating our city guides, and assisting in the production of editorial content from the MUNCHIES Test Kitchen.
- — Interns interact with all aspects of production and gain experience with a wide array of skills that translate directly over to journalism, film and international media. Interns will be an active part of the production process, from story development to episode delivery.
- — Waypoint is VICE’s home for gaming culture, built to explore how and why we play. The intern will assist in administrative and copyediting duties and have opportunities to work directly with Waypoint staff on pitching and developing some editorial, podcast, and video content.
internships, news, recent-news