Apply to these journalism internships before their April deadlines are up
If you’re still looking for a summer journalism internship, don’t worry. We’ve compiled a list of paid internships and fellowships with April deadlines. Here are the options.
Chicago Magazine — (Chicago)
- Chicago magazine's editorial department seeks motivated, enthusiastic journalism students and recent graduates to help with fact checking and story research. Interns are also encouraged to pitch ideas and write for various sections of the magazine.
CBS46 — (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Experience and assist with various jobs in the news and production department.
Chicago Sun-Times — (Chicago)
- Internships in the news, photography, social media, features, sports and Homicide Watch departments.
KTLA — (Los Angeles)
- TV internship program for students looking to pursue a career in broadcast television.
WFAA-TV — (Dallas, Tx.)
- News department — Interns in the WFAA Newsroom will have the opportunity to observe and participate in various immersive and hands-on roles in the multi-platform news gathering process – including as producers, reporters, photojournalists, and editors.
- Production — Observe the live production of newscast and production of recorded and/or live programs. Hands-on learning opportunities in editing, in-studio operation and remote shoots, as well as a variety of technical aspects of control room operations and more.
KVUE — (Austin, Tx.)
- News internship designed to provide practical experience and training, observation and mentoring to those entering broadcast, digital media and other communications-related fields.
The Intercept Fellowship — (New York City)
- The summer fellows will attend training sessions with Intercept writers, editors, and researchers. Their contributions may include fact-checking, filing records requests, reporting, web production, photo editing, posting to social media accounts, and video research and production.
The Nation Institute — (New York City)
- Interns' primary responsibilities include fact-checking for the magazine and website, providing research support to Nation writers and editors, and assisting bloggers on TheNation.com.
Chicago Public Media — (Chicago)
- With mentoring from the team’s audio producer and editors, our interns research stories, practice recording field audio, assist in conducting studio interview, help direct vocal performances, mix audio and learn to write and edit audio scripts.
National Newspaper Publishers Association Fellowship — (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Each team of DTU Fellows will travel to two cities to work with two different NNPA newspapers using the all-new 2018 Chevrolet Equinox’s innovative technology provided for the use of their team.
No listed deadline
Bleacher Report — (New York City)
- Mag intern — Develop ideas for features and premium content packages, assist with research and reporting, maintain editorial workflow, compile assets for team presentations.
- Social stories intern — Our Social Stories team finds interesting stories, researches those topics, and creates compelling short-form video content around unique sports, athletes and events. This position will focus on mainstream sports, sports culture, inspirational/human-interest stories and a variety of other sports, events and trends for custom social videos.
- Shows/video intern — The Intern will use deep sports knowledge along with extremely strong news-gathering techniques to generate and support ideas based on what's happening at the intersection of sports and culture.
CNN Digital Video — (New York City)
- Interns will have the opportunity to assist producers on local shoots, edit digital videos using our templates and in-house footage, and pitch their own stories to produce from start to finish. Other duties may include transcribing field interviews, logging video, researching and searching archive footage.
National Rural Electric Cooperative Association — (Arlington, Va.)
- The purpose of this internship is to capture the full breadth of work done across NRECA to improve the cybersecurity or our member utilities. The intern will gain extensive experience in interviewing staff, summarizing results, and identifying potential areas for improvement to enable similar reports to be developed in the future.
- The internship offers students opportunities to develop interviewing, analysis, reporting, pitching and writing skills, and they will benefit from mentoring as follows: 1. Understanding basic in-house requirements 2. Developing story structure, leads and headlines, providing visuals/art 3. Fact checking, deadlines, editing skills, editorial process 4. Distilling complex topics 5. Interviewing skill development 6. Reporting skill development 7. Challenges in science communication.
VICE News (Brooklyn, N.Y.)
- VICE News intern — Interns will work closely with editors and reporters on researching, pitching, and developing stories. Interns can expect to take on daily news writing assignments and assist with research and reporting. There will also be opportunities for interns to work on video production and social media.
- Broadly editorial intern — Tasks will include proofreading, research, and transcriptions. While we can't promise you'll get to write, you will have the opportunity to pitch. An ideal candidate will show experience/interest in writing and/or women’s/genders studies.
- Digital productions intern — Daily responsibilities will include audio and video transcription, support for APs and Producers, research, and runs for supplies and shoots.
- MUNCHIES editorial intern — Daily responsibilities will include copyediting, fact checking, writing short posts, uploading stories to the CMS, updating our city guides, and assisting in the production of editorial content from the MUNCHIES Test Kitchen.
- MUNCHIES production intern — Daily responsibilities will include assisting editing/logging/exports., B Cam, photography, daily errands as well as paperwork. Experience with animation a plus!
- News production intern — Interns interact with all aspects of production and gain experience with a wide array of skills that translate directly over to journalism, film and international media. Interns will be an active part of the production process, from story development to episode delivery.
- Tonic editorial intern — Tasks will include researching and reporting with the expectation that you will eventually pitch and write your own stories. Interns will also receive training on our CMS to learn the basic functions for operating the backend of the website.
- VICE.com editorial intern — Tasks will include transcribing, researching, and fact-checking. Interns will receive training on our CMS to learn the basic functions for operating the backend of the website, and will be required to assist in setting up and managing short-form articles. In some cases, they will write them.
- Waypoint editorial intern — The intern will assist in administrative and copyediting duties and have opportunities to work directly with Waypoint staff on pitching and developing some editorial, podcast, and video content.
tronc — (various locations)
- Visual Journalism Internship — (Chicago) Responsibilities for the photography/video intern will include covering events and breaking news stories throughout the five boroughs, conducting interviews, monitoring and using social media to help the photo desk with stories and to promote the Daily News’ content, tracking down user-generated content and shooting stock photos. Personal photo equipment is required (camera body, lenses and flash).
- The Daily News intern — (New York City) Interns will cover an event on camera or with one; edit and post online. You will be learning the ins and outs of the ever changing world of journalism.
- The Daily News Op/Ed intern — (New York City) Manage and review incoming Voice of the People submissions; type postal-mailed and faxed letters as needed; select letters for publication and edit for length, style, grammar and accuracy; produce for print and web a daily Voice of the People page in the print Daily News, writing and formatting letters, headlines and photos).
Tegna (various locations)
- 9NEWS — (Denver, Colo.)
- News internship where interns will produce daily content for NBC's affiliate in Denver.
- WGRZ2 — (Buffalo, N.Y.)
- Assignments would include working closely with show producers and news managers to learn how to craft a compelling, modern and sophisticated newscast, and will work with reporters, social media, web, and production staff to promote on-air content and engage viewers.
- WVEC13 — (Norfolk, Va.)
- Broadcast internship where interns will produce content for ABC's affiliate in Norfolk.
- WCSH6 — (Portland, ME)
- Broadcast news internship where assignments would include working side by side with experienced journalists in storytelling, videography, digital and social media.
- WKYC3 — (Cleveland, Ohio)
- Broadcast internship where assignments would include working side by side with experienced journalists in storytelling, videography, digital and social media.
- 12 News — (Phoenix, Ariz.)
- Line producing internship where you will learn and take part in every aspect of getting the show on the air - from story conception to completion in the control room. Our producing team will work with you on learning scripting, editing, blocking and then timing shows.
CNN (New York City)
- Opinion internship — will involve research, fact checking, production of opinion articles and associated use of social media. The intern will work side-by-side with producers of CNN's popular opinion section, helping to identify potential topics and writers.
- Photo desk — Produce photo galleries and essays for CNN Digital and CNN Photos blog. Gather and create relevant images, graphics, and other interactive elements to enhance stories, as requested by assignment producers, the design department, editorial, and other staff members.
- Digital video — The Digital Video news team produces, shoots and edits video for all CNN Digital platforms, including desktop, mobile and social. We work closely with correspondents and producers around the globe to cover breaking news and the issues that matter to our audience.
- International business news — This role will require an interest in Business news, tenacity in pursuing projects and an in-depth knowledge of social media. Interns will learn how to use CNN's tape database to locate tapes for packages and sound bites for air. In the field, interns will have the opportunity to accompany producers on stories. In production, the intern will become knowledgeable in learning how to set up a script with tape and write using CNN's database.
- CNNMoney programming — Interns gain insight into the publishing tools and analytics that drive engagement and reach across different platforms -- desktop, mobile, and emerging platforms. They will aid the editors and producers that program and package CNNMoney content. Interns will also work with the entire newsroom to come up with the best presentation of content.
- Motion graphics — The intern may assist with the following: animate video package elements - including opens, lower thirds, and text on screen - help craft smart and engaging explainer videos, explore sound design and editing in Adobe Premiere, mask photos and rotoscope video, as well as research and asset gathering.
- Social TV — Interns will gain insight into the digital strategy for a global news network. They will learn how to turn TV content into engaging social content and will help with writing stories and producing videos for social. They will also gain experience developing social strategies and using analytics to measure success for social.
Did we miss any? Send internship information to SPLC staff writer Gabriel Greschler at email@example.com or call him at (202) 974-6318.
Want more like this? The Student Press Law Center is a legal and educational nonprofit defending the rights of student journalists. Sign up for our free Weekly News Roundup.
internships, news, recent-news